Thursday, May 20, 2010

Coming up...

I'll be checking out a few upcoming concerts so stay tuned for those reviews.

Up next:
The Weakerthans, Horseshoe Tavern, May 25
Johnny Hollow & Attrition, Neutral, June 6
She and Him, Sound Academy, June 9

I adore the Weakerthans. There's something about John K. Samson's voice that just makes my heart melt. It just sounds so honest and pure. The first time I saw them last year, I didn't know a lot of the older material. I often find that this makes the concert less enjoyable with all of the songs sounding the same. But not the Weakerthans. I'll never forget John pacing the stage like a wandering troubadour, singing the sad Virtute the Cat Explains his Departure--nor the prequel, A Plea from a Cat Named Virtute. It's one of those songs that raises my spirits every time I hear it.

I've been a huge fan of Johnny Hollow for a while now. The band members are such nice people and the music is completely unique. I can't find any other band that matches Johnny Hollow in their sweet haunting melodies and their excellent stage presence. I remember once seeing them and something went wrong with the keyboard sounds. However, since Vincent Marcone (the excellent artist and keyboardist) plays his electronic parts live (self-described as a "human drum machine) they were able to laugh about it and keep going. Much better than the pre-recorded backtracks that I find all too often at concerts these days.

I've never seen Attrition. I remember hearing of them a while ago when the violindustrial Emilie Autumn said they used her original material without her permission on their album. Don't know the truth behind this story, but alas, if their music is anything like Emilie Autumn's or Johnny Hollow's, I'm sure it'll be an interesting night. Looking forward to it.

She and Him is a band I've only discovered in the past year. They released their second album, Volume 2, in March. But it's Volume 1 that's the real gem. I've fallen in love with Zooey Deschanel's sweet old-style vocals and M. Ward's soft, relaxing accompaniment. From the opening track, Sentimental Heart, I was hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment