Tuesday, June 8, 2010

When there's nothing left to burn...

Stars - Do You Trust Your Friends?


I know this is long overdue (the album was released in 2007) but I had to write about it.

I only recently discovered this album. It's a remix album of Stars' 2004 album Set Yourself on Fire. They had some of their musical friends remix or cover all of the tracks. And what inspired me to write this?

Final Fantasy's remix of Your Ex-Lover is Dead

This is, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful tracks I have ever heard. The original song is incredible with it's melancholic chord progression and horns. The lyrics and the vocals make sure the listener gets the full impact of the emotions. Every time I hear it, I get the same reaction.

Final Fantasy's enchanting remix has given new life to this song and made me fall in love with it once again. The intro ("When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire") is repeated by girls and women with such different voices that I can almost visualize each one.

Then, the mournful sounds of the piano comes in and sweeps the listener away, feeling like it's leading us on a morose journey through the memories of two people who once were in love.

Years pass and the former lovers are introduced to each other by a friend of a friend. I'm lucky enough to have never gone through something like this, as I cannot fathom how difficult it would be, and how strange it would feel.

Torquil Campbell begins the songs with his verses. The lyrics say it better than I could describe.

"God, that was strange to see you again/Introduced by a friend of a friend/Smiled and said yes, I think we've met before/In that instant it started to pour.

"Captured a taxi despite all the rain/We drove in silence across Pont Champlain/And all of that time when you thought I was sad/I was trying to remember your name..."

Amy Millan takes over from here, giving insight into their past fallout.

"This scar is a fleck on my porcelain skin/Tried to reach deep but you couldn't get in/Now you're outside me you see all the beauty/Repent all your sins.

The two create a beautiful harmony each time they unite their voices.

"It's nothing but time and a face that you lose/I chose to feel it and you couldn't choose/I'll write you a postcard, I'll send you the news from the house down the road from real love."

Then the repeated reminder... "Live through this and you won't look back."

It finishes with Millan's beautiful vocals that end the heartbreaking encounter.

"There's one thing I want to say so I'll be brave/You were what I wanted, I gave what I gave/I'm not sorry I met you/I'm not sorry it's over/I'm not sorry there's nothing to save/I'm not sorry there's nothing to save."

Cue the hopeful sounding violins, finally falling into the mournful piano outro.

An amazing piece of music that is, without a doubt, the gem of this album.

No comments:

Post a Comment