Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Part one of a two-part series: Adventures beyond Stirlingshire

Over the past month, I've been trying to see a bit more of Scotland. On Oct. 23, I visited the town of Perth, which is about 30 minutes away from Stirling. It's a small little town, but there have been many historical events there throughout Scottish history. The Scottish kings were crowned in Scone Abbey, which is in Perthshire, though I hadn't a chance to visit it.


First stop was the Fergusson Gallery, which hosts artwork by Glaswegian painter J.D. Fergusson.


It was a bit of an interactive museum, with puzzles such as this one. It was a lot harder than it looks!


They also had lots of costumes for visitors to wear, which represented the period of his artwork.


Perth sits along the River Tay, a body of water that begins in the highlands and stretches down into the Firth of Tay.


Not quite sure what this sculpture is supposed to be, but there were quite a few of them sitting along the wall by the river.


Donald and I visited a local bakery/cafe for our lunch. Unintentionally, he got Canadian bacon and pancakes with maple syrup, while I got a traditional Scottish dish, stovies and oatcakes.


Oatcakes are basically just oats. They aren't sweet at all and are rather plain on their own, but are delicious with stovies on top. Stovies are essentially a mash of what would traditionally be leftovers, such as potatoes and meat. There doesn't appear to be one set standard of what's inside. I really enjoyed it. I definitely need to learn how to make it on my own.



Saori had visited London this weekend, and we challenged her to find a single photo that shows a red telephone box, double decker bus, a mailbox, a police box, and a taxi. She wasn't able to get it in one shot, but found everything individually.


But we didn't need London to find a red telephone box!


We also visited an Andy Warhol exhibit at the Perth Museum and Gallery. We weren't allowed to take photos inside, but there were lots of his work, such as Donald's favourite painting of Chairman Mao.


He bought souvenir Andy Warhol playing cards and magnets of Campbell's soup cans which we have placed throughout our kitchen.

Stay tuned for Adventures beyond Stirlingshire, part 2: Off we go to Dunfermline!

1 comment:

  1. This is very urgent I have to ask you one of my priced possessions [my andy warhol cards] which I have cherished for 3 years has been misplaced and I've gone frantic trying ot search for them myself and I have got no luck now, so they've been gone since late 2012 November would you mind telling me where you gt yours so I can get new ones thank you!

    ReplyDelete