Thursday, November 11, 2010

Help! They're trying to steal our inventions!

One of the most interesting parts about studying in Scotland is hearing how people view Canada.

I've always found that Canadians figure that we're a nice, friendly country, and while we may not be the most revered country in the world, there's no reason for people to dislike us.

For the most part, I've found that to be true, at least in Scotland. When I mention being Canadian, people talk about the beautiful landscapes. Often they'll tell me about their trip to Vancouver or Toronto, or they'll talk about their uncle and aunt who lives in Halifax or Victoria.

Often, they'll hear my accent and guess I'm American. When I tell them I'm Canadian, they apologize profusely, even after I insist that I'm not actually offended.

They don't often insult Canada. But every once in a while, we get someone like my flatmate Gavin, who just insists that Canada's a "minor country" that hasn't done anything worthwhile.

Today, our daily banter led to a discussion on Canadian inventions.

"What has Canada actually invented?" he asked.

"The telephone!" was my first response.

Anton and Donald then turn around with looks of horror on their face.

"Excuse me? That was invented by Alexander Graham Bell," Donald said.

"Exactly," I said, satisfied that this argument wouldn't last long.

"He was Scottish!" they all exclaimed.

Immediately, I turned to the Internet for my answer. Yes, he was born in Scotland, but he moved to Canada. The first telephone call was made in Brantford, Ont. Ergo, the telephone was a Canadian invention.

"Just because he moved to Canada doesn't make him Canadian," Gavin told me, explaining that Bell was born in Scotland, so he's Scottish.

I've begun to think this must be a cultural difference. I've always been brought up that it doesn't matter where someone was born. If they live in Canada, and especially if they're a Canadian citizen, then they're just as Canadian as I am.

But that's not the case here. I tried to explain, if I were to move to Scotland, gain citizenship, and continue to live here, I would be Scottish. They disagreed.

Interestingly, it appears we also take credit for the invention of basketball. James Naismith was born in Canada, a Canadian citizenship, but he invented it while living in the US. Following this logic, the telephone would have been a Scottish invention, unless it comes down to how long the person has been living in the country upon invention. Regardless, I remember being taught that Bell was a great Canadian hero.

It makes me wonder: how do we define a Canadian? What makes something Canadian? And what makes someone a Scot?

Why does the definition of a Canadian seem looser than the definition of, say, a Scot? Is it because we're such a new country? Is it because we see more and more people coming into the country every day?

I'm not sure. I'd like to find out though. Any thoughts?

For now though, I'll have to make do with a steaming hot cup of Tim Hortons' hot chocolate while I hold my RCMP teddy, and continue into an [unconquerable] battle to prove to them that yes, we are an important group of people!

4 comments: